The tiny chapel of St Amans sits 680m high on the hills above Lunas. The site commands extensive views of the Escandorgue, the Orb valley and south to the Mediterranean. The chapel appears ageless but was, in fact, completed in about 1870. The site has had religious significance for much longer. There was a hermitage here in the late VII century, one of five hermitages around Lodève mentioned in a papal bull of 884AD.
The exterior is quite plain with a large porch and a round apse. A simple cross adorns the roof above the door. Inside, the apse is painted blue with a polychrome statue of St Amans on the simple altar. The church of St Pancrace in Lunas has a stained glass window featuring St Amans holding this chapel in his arms! Click on the thumbnails on the left for larger photos.
The chapel is kept locked except on days of pilgimage.